After placing first in the Longhorn Shootout nearly two weeks ago, the University of Texas Men’s Golf team doubled down by winning their fifth-straight Big 12 Championship this week in Hutchinson, Kansas.
- UT set a Big 12 Championship tournament record by posting a 39-stroke improvement between Round 1 and Round 2.
- The Horns faced a six-stroke deficit in the fourth round before rallying to eclipse the Oklahoma State Cowboys.
- This week marks the eighth Big 12 title for the burnt orange and the 40th conference title overall.
- Three UT golfers finished within the top-25 on the tournament:
- Scottie Scheffler, ranked 15th in the World Amateur Golf Ranking, led the field with 16 birdies and finished tied for runner-up (+8). This was Scheffler’s fourth top-10 finish on the year.
- Doug Ghim, ranked 27th in the World Amateur Golf Ranking, finished tied with Scheffler for runner-up (+8). This marks the fifth event of the season where Ghim has posted a top-10 finish.
- Gavin Hall sunk a vital eagle on hole 17 to help pull the Horns within one stroke of Oklahoma State and finished the tournament in 22nd place on the individual leaderboard (+19). Hall posted a tournament-high two eagles.
By winning the Big 12 Championship, the UT Men’s Golf team has earned the Big 12’s automatic bid the the NCAA Regional Tournament. Depending on their performance, the Horns can potentially earn a bid to the NCAA National Tournament.
- NCAA Regional Tournament: 5/15/2017-5/17/2017
- UT Golf Club, Austin, TX
- NCAA National Tournament: 5/26/2017-5/31/2017
- Rich Harvest Farms, Sugar Grove, Illinois
Be sure to keep up with the men in burnt orange and cheer them on as they pursue an NCAA National Championship! Scores and updates can be found at: